Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Gorgoneion


The gorgoneion is a decorative gorgon's head, face-on, which was quite common in Ancient Greek art for a few centuries. The gorgon features prominently in myth, and changed in form over time. Medusa was one of the three gorgons.

In its earliest depictions, the gorgon was a distorted, leering face, with serpents encircling but unattached. Over time, the face became more beautiful, and the serpents became the hair.

I based this small drawing off several coins (not mine, I don't have any, but I'd like one). It's a composite.



4 comments:

  1. Hmm...interesting and amazing composite. Amazing, too, what the Greeks came up with in myth, art and legend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you're able to obtain one of these coins at some point. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a quarter. If you like I'll give sell it to you for 30 cents, and you can paint snakes on George Washington.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. I started to write 'give it to you,' then decided to write 'sell it to you for 30 cents.' Thus the mistake, but looking at it I sort of think 'give sell' might be the best option.

    ReplyDelete

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!