Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Two Old Romans

Here are scans of a couple of coins I've had soaking in distilled water for…I don't know, a couple of years, I guess.  The coins are pretty crummy, and the pictures make them look even worse. I got these in a small lot of uncleaned, unearthed old coins. 

 

Distilled water is the most widely-recommended, safest way to clean them.  I'm supposed to switch out the water every few days, but in reality I've been lucky if I've remembered to do it every few months.  So they have just been sitting in a jar on a shelf.

 

I pulled these two out a few days ago.  They might actually be clean enough to identify.  I'm pretty sure that first one (A) is a coin of Julian II, who ruled the Roman Empire from A.D. 355-363.  He was the last pagan emperor, and also the last of the Constantinian dynasty.

 

I can tell by the style that it's late Roman, and I was finally able to make out what I think is DNIVL, which would stand for D[ominus]N[oster]Julianus," with only the first part of the "Julianus" visible.  "Our Lord Julianus."

 

It's hard to tell in this photo (it's hard to tell in real life, too), but the reverse of A is the common soldier-spearing-a-fallen-horseman design.

 

Coin B is a Constan- something.  Constantine the Great? Constans? Constantius?  I might be able to figure it out with a little more research.  The reverse is two soldiers flanking a standard.  I can read just enough of the reverse legend to be sure it includes the word EXERCITVS, so it probably said GLORIA EXERCITUS, or "Glory to the Army."

 

If both these coins were in much better shape, they'd still only be worth five or ten dollars, probably.

 

I might be able to manage a little more cleaning on them to help with the details.


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!