Thursday, December 08, 2011

New things

New things to me, at any rate.

1. The word "concerning." Of course I've heard the word all my life, but over the past year--and I'd swear, never before about a year ago--I've been hearing it used to mean "alarming" or "disturbing" or "unsettling," as in "News of all the burglaries was concerning to me," or "My cholesterol levels are quite concerning." I've always heard, and said, "I'm concerned," or "That concerns me," but I don't remember anyone using "concerning" that way till recently.

2. That "I saw three ships come sailing in" song. I'd swear I never heard that until a year or two ago, four at most. Is it new? It doesn't seem like it would be.
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

1 comment:

  1. For item two: Per Wikipedia, the authority of all human knowledge, the song, I saw three ships (come sailing in) is from the 17th century...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_saw_three_ships_come_sailing_in

    ReplyDelete

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!