Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Peanut brittle for squirrels

At some friends’ white elephant gift exchange the day after Christmas I ended up with a giant block of Texas-shaped peanuts and corn syrup.  I was warned against trying to eat it, and got the wrong idea that is was old (it turns out it was given fairly recently as a gift to the person I got it from, and the person who originally gave it hinted that he was a little hurt by where this block of candy eventually ended up, but anyway…)

So, not having an inclination to eat it myself, I thought maybe the squirrels would enjoy it on cold January days.  To that end, I strung it up with jute on the maple tree out front.

It was there for a week before there were any signs of someone nibbling it.  The eastern edge was gnawed on.  The next day, when I got home from work, it was on the ground, with significant bites in the panhandle region.

I tied it back up, and the next evening I found it again on the ground.


The next morning, it was gone, so I guess it became a winter snack for a possum.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!