Friday, September 15, 2017

Going painting

I am about to head out for some plein air painting today, and I am thinking about how that feels. I feel excited and nervous (just a little bit of each, but it's there.) I never ever really feel like I completely know what I am doing, which I guess is something most artists feel, regardless the medium. I feel like I spread myself too thin and that I lack focus. I feel like I never accomplish a plein air painting that is as good as a huge percentage of other artists I pay attention to on Instagram or find via Google, but that is probably a common feeling, and it's definitely a trap that people fall into -- that feeling of inferiority. But also, those other artists I see are very inspiring. I think, "I want to paint like that! I am learning just by looking at them. Really good paintings are within my grasp." So many of my paintings are failures. But not all of them, certainly, and I learn with each one. You just have to keep going back to what inspires you, and then keep acting on that inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!