Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Four Notes

1) My baby is an octopus monkey. We ate at El Tarrasco last night, and in a two minute period Jill grabbed and sucked on a bottle of the green hot sauce (cap still on it, thank goodness), a knife, a fork, the salt shaker, the pepper shaker, a napkin, and my coat. She actually paused briefly after sucking on the pepper shaker; she made a face, not an unpleasant one, and smacked her lips for a moment. I suppose that was the only thing that had flavor. I'm not saying any of this because I think that anyone with children will find this incident extraordinary in any way. I'm just saying it so that if you sit at table #6 at El Tarrasco, you'll know that every single thing in the booth was sucked on by a baby.

2) We watched two episodes of Survivor at a friend's house on Thursday. They have a big screen HD TV. I don't think I ever got the full effect seeing these things in the store; they never seemed that impressive. However, watching this mega-size, mega sharp contraption in a friend's basement was pretty, like, ultimate. As I later mentioned to David and Brooke: "I've seen eye candy, but now I know what it's like to have candy lick my eyes."

3) I watched the Rankin/Bass "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" on TV last week. Erin got to watch it, too. I really like the elf who wanted to be a dentist. It had been many years since I had seen "Rudolph," and I enjoyed seeing it again. The quality of the animation was technically poorer, but more endearing, than I remembered. I'm thankful for this show; I've long felt that, in the song, there are many story elements that are omitted. It's like I can only remember every other verse. There are lots of blanks in the song that the Animagic TV special fills in nicely.

4) I realized on Sunday that "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" is the only Christmas song to which I know all the words. In fact, there are very, very few songs to which I know all the words.

9 comments:

  1. It may be true that you don't know all of the words to songs, but you always seem to supply the most interesting bits of songs when necessary!

    http://knittyscrappylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know all the words to the 1812 Overture, the St. X Fight Song and "Sister Ray."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plus you know all the words to the "Druthers" theme song, re: Mr. Andy Dandytale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I start out strongly with, "St. X High, St. X High, You're the best school around/ and we're proud of the Green and the Gold!" but then I sort of peter out into, "...and it's hi! hi! he! for the field artillery/ count out their number, forty strong." With the 1812 Overture, the only words I remember are "Not yet, Natasha."
    I might remember all the lyrics to "Sister Ray," but I don't think I remember them in order, except that "Whip it on the chair" is followed by "Whip it on the chair" or "Whip it on the chair."

    ReplyDelete
  5. "'Hey, Burger Queen has changed names!'"/"So you've played Druthers' Name Game!/C'mon, this could be your lucky day!/You could be a winner/From a hundred to a dinner!/You could even win a thousand bucks!/You know, it really isn't hard/Next time you come in, grab a card..." Hmm, forgot the rest.

    My brain is a horse stall that needs a vigorous mucking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, Google tells me that it's actually "Whip it on me, Jim." Why on Earth didn't I know that?

    "Women & fun,
    Women & fun -
    It's a put on!"
    --The Who

    ReplyDelete
  7. I seriously did not expect you to remember any of those things. In fact, I chose them because I remember nothing about them except their barest existence.

    I see now that I have tangled with The Master of Memory and been hastened back to my Cloud of Unknowing.

    Dag!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry for commenting on an almost 2 year-old post. (You can blame Google for that.)

    I noticed from other comments that you have some familiarity with a certain Druther's tune. Do you happen to recall the words to the Andy Dandytale song? I remember the "...story 'bout this fella, who walks from sea to sea....and that fella's me" part. I also seem to recall something about Andy's witnessing of Paul Bunyon eating a tree, or something.

    Anywho, if you could help out at all, that would be great. If not, I still stumbled upon some excellent blog reading. So, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. -B: Sorry, I think those lyrics might ring a very faint bell for me, but I really don't remember it. I do, however, remember Andy Dandytail, thought not very well. He didn't last very long, did he?

    ReplyDelete

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!