Tuesday, December 05, 2006

New Presidential Dollars to be Released in 2007!

The U.S. Mint will be issuing a new series of coins, beginning next year, commemorating the U.S. Presidents. Similar to the State Quarters Program, the series will feature the faces of each President, not including those still living.

My initial reaction to this announcement was deep disgust. After mulling it over for a while, it is still disgusting to me. Deep down inside me, the noble numismatist is saying, "Those stupid motherf***ers! Those stupid, awful motherf***ers!"

Ten years from now, we will have circulating coinage featuring Richard Nixon. I find the thought of that fairly humiliating. Likewise do I find it annoying that we'll have coins featuring such noble leaders as Andrew Johnson and Warren Harding. If Bill Clinton and George W. Bush both drop dead of strokes next week, we'll have them on our coins, too.

I think we should rid our coins of presidents altogether and return of the Liberty motif that existed prior to the issuance of the Lincoln cent in 1909.

Think of it. You will be receiving and spending coins that are honoring Nixon and Reagan, and very possible both Bushes (the first Bush stated that a person of my religions beliefs should not be considered a citizen), and Clinton. There's something there to be reviled by everyone--Conservative, Liberal, Libertarian, Anti-Oval Office BJ, Anti-Idiot, Anti-Burglary, Pro-Choice, Pro-Life--everyone.

If we can't go back to Liberty, can we at least keep Sacagawea? She was nice. She's maternal. It's a pretty design.

4 comments:

  1. Actually, now that I think about it, I think we are keeping Sacagawea--she won't be excluded. But I want her to be exclusive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you on that! It is one thing to have presidents that are so far gone that you don't remember all the raunchy things they did while president being represented. When you have these relative newbies though that have done some really ridiculous things it does seem wrong to immortalize them all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still shaking with rage from the bicentennial quarter. The cafeteria lady refused to accept it when I wanted to buy a milk! And I'm always a milk!

    1981 George

    ReplyDelete

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!