Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Riverbank at Riverside Park, in western Louisville. Category B, though it’s not too far off from category A. Again, it needed more variety in the green, as well as in the yellow dirt of the bank, and to a lesser degree in the river. There is a lot of subtlety and delicacy in both the colors and the brush strokes in the clouds—the clouds are the best part, though I doubt that shows up well on the Web. This is a wide, but short, painting, measuring about 18x36. Oil on panel. (Please give a hand to my lovely assistant, who was watching me and who asked if she could help hold it.)
I think this is an interesting category B. The lights and darks are strong, and the colors are rich and varied, in this scene from Joe Creason Park. The paint is applied in varying thicknesses, giving it some nice textures. The biggest problem is the wall of vegetation in the foreground, which screws up the composition for me. Really, it's not the composition that it messes with, it's the illusion of space--I want a landscape painting to feel as though it has some depth, inviting the viewer back into its illusory space. But the vegetation pushes one away. I think this is an unusual mistake for me. I normally have a good eye for composition and depth. There are also a few other little color choices that bother me. Interesting, but a little disappointing. I would like to see how it looks framed. (about 16x20, oil on panel)

3 comments:

  1. I had to write a paper once entitled, "What is Art to Me?" We had a big discussion over Art vs. art. I'm not sure if I ever came up with an educated answer but I find that I am drawn to pictures that hit me emotionally - ones that remind me of other times or places I've been. I can not detect the things which make your B's a B and not an A. But I find that I feel something nice about the Joe Creason picture and not the one at Otter Creek. Maybe you should dig out some of your C's. I could be a great buyer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I have no idea what I am talking about, I sometimes find people who have no clue may offer insight. Of course, I don't expect myself to lend any ideas. Is there anyway to create an illusion of depth to the row in the foreground, like there is space behind it? This may draw the viewer up, over and beyond the hedge....gibberish...I know. Also, I have enjoyed showing off your paintings to the people at work. Very impressive and humbling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both very much. For any interested parties, I am solidifying my price list. B's a quite affordable, if you don't think the A's are! They might look nice in a newly remodeled bathroom or something.

    C's are right out. They're the ones you'd look at and think, hey, if the grade-schooler who painted that keeps it up, he might really develop some painting skills.

    C's are recycled.

    Regarding the Joe Creason Park painting, I thought I didcreate the illusion that you could go up and over those strange stalky weeds. Those are in the foreground; the trees are way back behind them.

    Now that I don't have a painting class, comments from insightful, brilliant people such as you are more important than ever.

    ReplyDelete

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!