Monday, August 18, 2008

Something else from the mint!

I took these photos last evening. The mint that is flowering in our back yard is a real magnet for insects. It's a small patch of mint, but there were hundreds of little bees, wasps, hornets, moths, and flies enjoying it. There was quite a variety of wildlife. I took some photos of the larger insects, but there were lots of very small ones that were too tiny and fast for me to get a clear shot of. I especially wanted some photos of these little metallic gold-colored bees, but I couldn't manage it. My camera always wanted to focus someplace that the bee wasn't, and when I got too close the critters would scatter. Also, I'm a pretty sting-able guy, and I didn't want any of these folks getting upset with me.
 
Here are two pictures of a baldface hornet.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!