Friday, June 05, 2009

Take me to the river


Well, I received some very nice, and interesting, comments regarding my previous couple of blog posts.

 

Regarding Kevin's comments about the circularity of I-264: I agree totally. Now that I live near the Gene Snyder, I-265 is the focus of my frustration for the same reason.  Whenever someone asks me for directions, I have to tell them, "OK, get off 71 onto the Gene Snyder going either west or south…whichever it is, you're headed towards the right…"

 

One thing that I became aware of when I lived in Laramie was my use of landmarks when I navigated.  These landmarks could be things actually seen, or they could be things that are real but which are unseen and exist as constructs on a mental map.

 

While driving in Laramie, I realized that I had lost the major navigational "beacons" of my mental map: the interstates and, most significantly, the Ohio River.  While driving in Louisville, everything ultimately relates navigationally to the river.

 

In Laramie, the mountain ranges became the guiding stars, which was usually easier because except on the darkest nights one can see them from pretty much anywhere.  It was hard to get turned around and be facing the wrong direction when I could just crane my neck around to see where the Snowy Range was.

 

One can only take the need for navigational aids in Laramie so far, though. If you get lost and drive in a straight line, it won't be long before you come to an honest-to-God edge of town. Once you spot antelope, you know you've missed your turn.

 

3 comments:

  1. It a good think I don't need to navigate by the stars. Only Gods of Thunder can do that.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have a problem with the phrase "inside out." I prefer "outside in." I also have always wondered at what mile marker does the Gene Snyder turn from East and West to North and South. I usually just navigate by the nearest golf course.

    ReplyDelete

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!