Tuesday, March 22, 2011

I'm not a scrapbooker.  I wonder what the ratio of male scrapbookers to female scrapbookers is? Probably about 1/90?  Anyway, I just heard someone talking about scrapbooking, and it made me think about it.  I like the idea of scrapbooking, but I really dislike how most scrapbook hobbyists are doing their scrapbooks. (Disclaimer: since I'm not into scrapbooking, I only see a very small selection, so what I see might not be very representative.)  The reason I dislike it is because I want it to be more journalistic and information-loaded, but it seems like most of the examples I see are 90% style and 10% substance.

 

Maybe it's just a matter of expectation.  I associate the idea of scrapbooking with keepsakes and memories.  But if people did what they are doing and called it something different, like "Skrapping," I'd never give it a thought.  I'd just think of it as an art form somewhere between photography and collage.

 

This reminds me of my attitudes about the naming of artwork.  I think many, or perhaps most, artists are lousy at titling their art (and I recognize that this means that most other artists probably would think that I'm lousy at titling mine).  I want art, even abstract art, to be some form of record of actual experiences; furthermore, I want the artwork itself, not the title, to be the vehicle for any fanciful associations.

 

This means I don't like it when someone paints a landscape and titles it something like "Evening Symphony."  If a viewer is going to regard the painting to be a symphony, I think the artist should leave it to him or her to make that connection. "Evening" is a better title, and I'd even prefer "Evening: This Reminds Me of a Symphony."

 

James Abbott McNeill Whistler, whose paintings I really like, used musical terms in titling his paintings, but it doesn't bother me because they were used in a subtler, more consistent way.  His titles work as simple catalog entries.


 
 

4 comments:

  1. I've never looked for titles on your paintings, Mark, and didn't realize you'd titled them. Maybe I'm not very observant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe Whistler used more subtle and consistent musical terms for his paintings because he's ... well, a whistler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I guess you think I shouldn't have titled my painting of an orchestra concert "Daffodils In Moonlight."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you on scrapbooking. I think it's the graphic-designer-of-magazines in me. I cannot imagine spending the time and money people spend to put one photo on a page with lots of decoration. Plus, being a photographer, I would need to make roughly 12,974 scrapbooks to adequately represent the last 5 years, using the traditional scrapbook method. Doesn't seem practical.

    ReplyDelete

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!