Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Monday Morning's Tornados

I used information from two National Weather Service maps showing confirmed tornado paths and joined them on my own map.  The red lines are based on the NWS tornado maps.  I drew the green line to connect the two to see how close it came to our house and Brian and Julie.  It's not right on top of us, but it's close enough! 
 
Kim said that an old barn on Hwy 22 not far from us was ripped to pieces, and I know Brian said he lost some shingles.
 
We never heard the sirens, though I was awake and listening for them.  It was hard to sleep because the house was creaking all around us and it sounded like someone was spraying a firehose against the side of our house.

3 comments:

  1. There was a piece on the news about the sirens not going off in northern Jefferson and Oldham counties, although there was a tornado warning. The sirens should have been sounding, and weren't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wind woke me shortly after 4am First thing I heard when I turned on the radio was a tornado warning in Jefferson County and funnel cloud in Lyndon. Then an hour or so later some Metrosafe guy was on the air saying the sirens weren't on because there was no tornado warning issued. Radio host and meteorologist both said 'uh, yeah there was.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. The red metal corrugated barn next to the indoor pool place on Highway22 was knocked down and large pieces were strewn about the field across the street. We live on the back side of Orchard Grass near the green line. I noticed a few houses behind us had shingles gone, too. Just about every basketball goal in our neighborhood was knocked down.

    ReplyDelete

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!