I shopped at Costco yesterday, and again I kept getting static electricity shocks from the shopping cart. It happens on most of my trips there, but yesterday was particularly bad. I'd say that less than once a minute, I'd be pushing the cart and ZAP!
What's weird about it is that the charge builds up with my hand on the cart. The handle is plastic, and eventually the charge builds up enough to shock me through the plastic. I'll be walking along with my hand on the handle, when I feel a sudden stinging crackle in my palm.
Sometimes it's not a single zap, but it'll manifest itself as a stream of electricity—like having my hand on a very low-voltage electric fence. That's unpleasant, but not nearly as unpleasant as when big shock gets me right through the plastic handle.
This also used to happen to me at Sam's Club, and I've heard people say that it happens to them at Walmart.
It doesn't happen to Kim. I wonder if my shoes play a role?