Friday, January 19, 2007

Randi's Million Dollar Challenge Rule Change

I see that the James Randi Education Foundations has changed the rules in its Million Dollar Challenge, as discussed in this Wired.com news article: http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,72482-0.html?tw=wn_index_1

It looks to me like a great change. In the past, when I've read about the tribulations of dealing with applicants, it has seemed truly exhausting. Amusing at first, or in concept, like skimming the headlines of "Weekly World News" in the cashier's lane; but then, if you actually try to read it, it's a major chore. It becomes more sad than anything else.

Randi seems to be becoming more aggressive, and he certainly doesn't mince words. I, like Randi, have long been a fan of Carl Sagan. Sagan held similar views, but from what I've seen he was always very diplomatic and careful to be seen as explaining and describing rather than attacking. I'm much more Sagan-y than Randi-ish in my tastes, but I have to confess I get lots and lots of joy from watching Randi engage in skirmishes. I think the rules changes will lead to more (very deserving) exposure for the JREF.

1 comment:

  1. google

    cfi nostradamus usa

    to see how we stopped randi's challenge

    ReplyDelete

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!