Tuesday, July 31, 2007

George's Birthday/American Splendor

Happy Birthday to George! He’s this guy I used to know. He’s super-kind, generous, good-natured, clever, and thoughtful. Unfortunately for me, I just didn’t live up to his expectations and he stopped wanting to have anything to do with me. He finally realized I was like Harvey Pekar without the charm or air of success.

Speaking of Harvey Pekar, I re-watched a movie about him last night. I first saw “American Splendor” in theaters when it first came out a couple of years ago. Last night after it was over I told Kim, “I feel just like I did after the first time I watched it: I don’t know exactly all the reasons I like this movie, but I really, really like it.” In fact, it’s one of the 15-20 movies that are on my top 10 list (yeah, the list is pretty loosey-goosey.) Although the film focuses largely on negative emotions, depression, and loneliness, it’s really very positive and very funny. I highly recommend it. Funny and uplifting. And remember not to get it mixed up with that Kevin Spacey movie; they are not at all the same. That one was called “American Beauty,” and it was a downer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!