Saturday, July 28, 2007

Produce

Today Erin and I hauled in a watermelon. I suspected it was ripe, and I was eager for the first one, and I hated the thought of one being ripe and then getting over-ripe or rotting because I hadn't been on the ball.

So we brought in the bowling ball-sized fruit and I cut into it. Disappointment dripped and oozed across the cutting board, for the inside was still mostly white. There were, however, rows of seedy pinkness, which I dug out with a spoon melon-ball style. Enough to fill a large plastic cereal bowl. We ate it, and it was pretty good. The worst part was the seediness, which will pose a bit more difficulty for my two small children than for me. I spit out most of them like an old pro, and crunched up the rest. They were very crunchy, like watermelon grapenuts.

Erin and I also picked two bowls of blackberries. This evening I ran them (about 5 cups) through the food processor, then pressed the pureƩ through a colander and added a little sugar. This we spooned over vanilla ice cream, and it was quite good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!