Saturday, July 21, 2007

Kohlrabi

Here is some kohlrabi from my little garden. Uncooked, the skin is quite purple. Pictured here after a half-hour in the steamer, it has developed a creepy translucency to its peel, making it seem to me not so much food-like as Roswell-artifact-like.
But hey, peeled, heavily buttered, and lightly salted, it provided delight. I gave Erin and Jill a little each; both asked for more! It reminded me of boiled, buttered, and salted cabbage, and also made me think a little of well-cooked broccoli.

2 comments:

  1. My Granny always made cooked cabbage. It stunk up the entire house and looked like a slimy, yucky mess, but yummmmmm did it taste good. I wonder what I could call it to get Easton to try it if I made it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gardenfresh Softball Monsterfood, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!