Friday, July 16, 2010

honk if you love rooks


 

Here is something I think about every time I blow my nose.  In chess, rooks are considered more valuable pieces than bishops. That's because rooks move orthogonally (up and down and back and forth across the board) and bishops move diagonally.  That means rooks can move to any square on the board, but a bishop can only move to the same color square that it starts out on; rooks have the potential to control twice as much of the board as bishops.

 

Kleenex is the bishop.  It's great for blowing noses, but you can't flush it.  Toilet paper is the rook.  You can both blow your nose with it and it's also flushable.  Dual purpose!  That means toilet paper is a more valuable commodity than Kleenex.

 

I think about that when I'm looking for something to blow my nose with.  I don't really think about other times.

 

2 comments:

  1. I think Kleenex is more valuable - you can leave it out in the living room or family room even when company comes over without being tacky. But...why am I even responding to this??

    ReplyDelete

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!