Tuesday, August 24, 2010

More garden stuff


 

Regarding the swallowtail caterpillars:  Just at a glance, I saw five or six of them on the fennel, so I'm sure there are more I didn't see.  Ever since I saw a butterfly laying eggs on it, each time I've walked past the fennel I've looked for caterpillars, but this is the first time I've found them.

 

This morning from our window I watched a bright red, chirping cardinal hopping around the top of one of my tomato plants.  He was pulling at stems and leaves, and I thought he was eating flowers or small green tomatoes, but wasn't sure.  Finally, I saw him grab something and pull and gobble it down.  It looked like a green caterpillar, which had been eating the plant. Go cardinal!

 

I picked my first two red cayenne peppers today

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!