Thursday, September 23, 2010

High School Art

I was cleaning out some old folders when I found this gem from my high school art class. The assignment was to create a collage from magazine pictures, and then turn that collage into a color pencil drawing.  What I think is great about this drawing is that it works on multiple levels (level 1: weird. Level 2: stupid. Level 3: cockamamy farce.)
 
I'm also impressed by my ability to handle colored pencils, which I find difficult and unforgiving.  There are problems, sure.  The faces are pretty screwy.  However, I quite like how the hands are rendered (last night when I looked at it I was struck by how many rings there are in the picture.)  I also like the shading on te lab coats. The aspirin bottle looks nice.
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Saw this the other day - I want to make a comment, but I just don't know what to say...maybe don't pitch it (it's too unique), but don't show it to anybody, either.

    I've seen that picture somewhere - of the crazy underarm testing - and my head wants make some connection between all the visual elements. Nuns walking on water (getting progressively older?), the asprin in the sky...it makes me somewhat confused and a little anxious. I better stop now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just for the sake of discussion, the women on the left are testing deodorants at a lab; the two "nuns" are Iranian women; and they are all hanging out with the aspirin in Antarctica.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. Well, that explains it. I thought it might have been a statement about those who think medicine is God (thus the aspirin in the sky). Two nuns/Iranian women bring Truth to earthly heathens who worship false gods with odd underarm rituals. The inclusion of Anartica is quite clever - could be a reminder that unbelievers will get to heaven when hell freezes over? The significance of the rings continues to baffle me as well.

    ReplyDelete

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!