Sunday, September 05, 2010

Old paintings from way back in the '90s...

This is art from a simpler, more innocent, less sophisticated age.

This first painting, the naked lady leaning on a ladder --a common scene at U of L-- isn't very refined, but it's luscious and energetic! There are some minor drawing and compositional problems that sort of throw it out of whack, but I love the paint application. For the most part. The way it's mounted on wooden braces is fittingly (and intentionally) crude, with screws and nails driven though the surface of the painting. I think this dates to about 1992 or 1993. This downtown Louisville scene was painted a couple of years later. I don't think it's too bad, and it was actually a part of my BFA show; it's still pretty far removed from how I'd like my paintings to look now. Whaddya think?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!