Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Weird fishing occurrence

I don't know if Brian remembers this.

 

I was fishing with Brian at Long Run Park quite a few years ago (late 80s, I guess) when he caught two fish at the same time.

 

He threw out a line (a worm under a bobber) and after a few minutes he his bobber went under and he reeled in.  As he pulled it out of the water, we saw that he had not one, but two bluegill!

 

It's hard to explain how the second one was hooked, so I have added a crude illustration.

 

I had to look at it hard to figure out how it happened.  At first, I thought that he had somehow cast out with two hooks on his line, or that he had cast out a baited hook with another snelled hook accidentally stuck to it, and had caught fish on both.  This, however, was not the case.

 

The only way I could think that this could have happened is that he threw out his line as normal.  A bluegill grabbed it and was hooked as normal, with the hook going through his lip.

 

Meanwhile, there was another bluegill nearby who had a snelled hook (complete with looped leader) sticking out of his mouth after escaping the clutches of another angler.  This fish swam close to the first struggling fish, and the leader from his hook got caught on the point of Brian's hook.  And there he remained until he reeled them up into the air on the bank.


 
 

2 comments:

  1. That was kinda weird. I guess the strangest thing I've caught, other than a rod and reel from the bottom of Kentucky Lake, is when I was fishing at a pay lake in Southern Indiana. The water was very muddy and nobody was catching anything. I was reeling in and hooked a pretty good size catfish back near the tail. He fought pretty hard, but I reeled him in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a vague recollection of hearing about Brian catching those fish. Wierd.

    ReplyDelete

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!