Tuesday, March 11, 2008

state quarter designs

 
All fifty state quarter designs.
 
Some I find quite striking, and some are horrendous. I really like the new Oklahoma one with the scissor tail flycatcher.
 
It's hard for me to say what makes a coin design appealing, but I think simplicity is fairly important. Balance is obviously key.
 
It's easier for me to say what makes a bad design. Anything with a state outline immediately gets points taken off. What a totally lame idea. There is no state quarter, or any other type of coin, that looks better as a result of incorporating a map.
 
Clutter looks bad, and many of the coins suffer from that, although some of the busiest coins (like Nevada's) still look great. Also, there's such a thing as too much simplicity. The Wyoming quarter is terrible in this regard.
 
Some of my favorites: Connecticut, Nevada, Utah, Oklahoma, New Jersey
Alaska, Montana
 
Some of the worst: Wyoming, Indiana, Louisiana, Florida, New Hampshire, Michigan
 
I haven't really made an effort to collect any of the state quarters, though I have kept some of the ones that I like the best.


 


Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!