Monday, January 05, 2009

art/baking/garden

Last night I started cutting on my first linoleum block print since high school art class. I really don't have any good idea how it will turn out. A little natural finesse and intuition are qualities I feel I possess when it comes to exploring new media; I think I often get a pretty good sense of how to manipulate the physical objects to get things to look pretty good. There are, however, some basics here that are unknowns to me. How deeply do I have to cut to get a good printable relief? Is my ink any good? For multi-color reduction prints, which will be my next project, will getting accurate registration be a job that's just too frustrating for me to want to fool with?
--
Yesterday I made some apple bread from scratch. It turned out really good, and even better with cinnamon butter on it. The recipe called for a cup of grated apple, but I grated a whole apple and ended up with about 2 cups, all of which I threw in. I liked the results much better than the orange mini muffins I made on Saturday.
--
I actually mowed on Saturday. It was mostly to run all the gas out of the mower, but I also wanted to chop up and obliterate the leaves that I'd missed while raking. Some of the grass was actually long, but it was brown and horizontal so it didn't look too much like it needed to be cut. It did look better once I had mowed it, though.
I also dug up more gladiolus bulbs. That's pretty much all of them now. I don't know for sure where I'll plant them in the spring, but I have lots of them- and I'm willing to share. Many of them are new baby corms ("cormels") that might not flower for another year or two. I hope they will be safe in the garage during the winter.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!