Sunday, January 25, 2009

Linoleum block print: Ohio River Scene

Here's the 6 x 9" linocut I've been working on. I don't think it's too bad for being the first one I've done since Reagan was in the White House. I'm pretty satisfied that the cutting on it is done, although there might be a few tiny areas I could fine-tune. What I really need to work on is my ability to put ink on the block. My brayer is a little too hard for the job, I think. There is also a strong possibility I just need more practice to get rid of the white spots where ink is supposed to be (see the far lower right for what I'm talking about.)

For those of you unfamiliar with the process, or who just don't remember it from your elementary school art class, linocut printing involves taking a sheet of linoleum that has been mounted on a wood backing. One cuts into the surface; the areas that are cut away remain white. Printing ink is then applied with a roller to the raised areas. A sheet of paper is then pressed onto the lino and mashed down really well to pick up the ink.

I want to work on a multi-color print next.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Very, very nice. (Even more impressive your last linocut series of Reagan portraits.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very, Very nice. I'ts very easy to see how this process works, but, I can't understand how you do multi-color prints.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Double wow! Since I am almost 100 years old,I cannot remember having such an art class in grade school. Your work is interesting and impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it.
    I never got to do that in elementary school, though. Due to my artistic clumsiness, no teacher would trust me with a cutting instrument. Whether to save my own life or those of my classmates, I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I certainly never did anything like this in art class either. Are you sure this wasn't an art class you had at St. X? and your feeble little mind just remembers it being elementary school?

    ReplyDelete

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!