Friday, April 24, 2009

Very glad to a little sad

I opened the box of gladiolus bulbs I had stored in the garage and realized I had made a mistake. Last fall, I had dug them up, rinsed them off, let them air out a few weeks, and then boxed them up.  However, it was probably a bad idea to put them in plastic bags; many of the larger cormels rotted in storage.  Very dismaying.  Fortunately, most of them are still good, and there are scores of little ones that are just fine.

 

In fact, the little ones might be too fine.  Most of them have sprouted, and some of them have long white tendrils of new stalks that were twisting around in the dark of the garage, trying to find sunlight.  Instead of sprouting out of the top of the bulb, they are sprouting in random directions (I assume they popped out of the corm in whatever side was facing up).  I think they'll still grow fine, as long as I can get them planted soon.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!