Sunday, January 24, 2010

Here I am, awake way too late again. I'll post this and get to bed ASAP.

I was up late last night working on a drawing of a street in Snitzelburg and watching the movie "Encounters at the End of the World." The movie was pretty good. It's a Werner Herzog documentary about Antartica and some of the people who end up working there. More than anything else, it's a meditation on eccentricities, extremes, and human limitations.

I also started reading a book that Kim surprised me with: Last Train from Hiroshima, by Charles Pelligrino. It's an in-depth account of the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, mostly told from the survivors' points-of-view, but also mixing in lots of science. I'm not very far into it, but I'm finding it riveting.

The author mentions that one of his reasons for writing is the faint hope that such books will decrease the chance of a nuclear weapon ever being used again. I was struck by the pessimism, but I guess there's a lot of truth in that; one of the only thing that keeps humanity's future from seeming practically infinite is our ability and possible willingness to destroy ourselves, but with this hypothetically huge expanse of time before us, it seems likely that at some point there will be another nuke in another city.

Eh, I wrote more but I just deleted it. I don't think it made sense or really had a point.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!