Sunday, January 17, 2010

Polymer clay cane

For a few years now I've been wanting to get out our small stockpile of polymer clay and mess around with it. Kim really got interested in it seven or eight years ago and bought some good supplies, but neither of us has done anything with it in about five years.

There had been a few things holding me back. One was its lack of importance on my list of artistic priorities. At times that I could get out the clay I instead decided to paint or draw.

A second was its inanity--I very rarely see anthing done with polymer clay that doesn't look like a cheap little decoration. Things I've seen that don't look like cheap little decorations have been jewelry. I've seen some really cool stuff, beautifully done and finely crafted. However, I don't have much interest in jewelry. Therefore, I really didn't have any good ideas for what I would try to create with the clay. I really like the finely detailed millefiore patters and other designs, and I like the manner in which they are created. But I had no goal.

I still don't, but last week I got out the clay just to horse around with it anyway. I decided to make a cane, a process in which one creates a 2D design but makes it looooong- imagine a loaf of bread that has a pattern on the "heel" which runs all the way through to the "heel" on the opposite side. Then the loaf is stretched out, making it long and thin. Then it's sliced, giving one discs with the design.

Here are the results. The red clay in the eyes was harder, so it didn't stretch as well, resulting in the skulls at the ends of the ropes lacking red.

This was mostly an experiment, using clay scraps. I was anxious to see the end results so I didn't build up the outside as well as I should have. There's also not as much contrast in the design as I'd like. However, I think it came out pretty well for a first try.


Now, what to do with these? string them into a necklace? Use them for checkers? I suppose they'd make fun game counters or chips. They'll probably just sit around.

7 comments:

  1. Interesting...I see skeleton faces when I look at them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just re-read your blog, and I guess that's what I was supposed to see. I can see your quandary as to what to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're on to something with the game pieces. Could you use the clay to make custom chess sets? Specially designed kings and queens and knights?
    If not - you are in the perfect household to make pretty bracelets and jewelry things :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it would be cool to make specialized games pieces. I also like the skulls without the red. The look a little creepier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could give them to trick-or-treaters next Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'd be afraid some kid would try to eat one.

    ReplyDelete

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!