Friday, April 09, 2010

Avalanche on Mars


This is from NASA's orbiting HiRISE camera. I saw it mentioned on The Bad Astronomer's blog. Such cool stuff!

I edit this to add: This photo is of a 2,000 foot cliff, seen from almost directly above. The white at the top of the cliff, at left, is ice--frozen carbon dioxide. The camera took the picture just as there was a rock slide down the cliff, stirring up a big plume of dust. This camera has captured other slides as they happened or shortly after. I think it's really neat to see such clear photos of geological processes happening on other planets.


3 comments:

  1. Wait a minute. That looks like something I found last week in the back of my refrigerator. Are you SURE that's a NASA HiRise photograph??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It really is Mars? At first I thought you might be trying to trick us or something. But you wouldn't do that, would you.

    ReplyDelete

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!