Thursday, April 15, 2010

Curing

Here's a painting tip I recently picked up: Don't keep your painting in the dark if you want it to dry.

 

I already knew that oil paint dries by oxidation, so that exposure to circulating air speeded drying time.  I also knew that keeping the painting in a relatively warm place increased the hardening of the paint.

 

What I just learned, though, is that exposure to light (especially to ultraviolet light) speeded the process, too.

 

UV light is harmful to paintings overall, but a little sunlight won't hurt it when it's curing.

 

I had been keeping my car painting in the dark garage between painting sessions, but today I decided to take it out and put it in the back of the car for the day.  Maybe it will be dry enough for me to work on some more tonight.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!