Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Miniatures


Last weekend I had some grand plans to work on a pen and ink cityscape of the Louisville skyline, and also to spend time gaming with some friends.  I also was going to work some more on a portrait someone asked me to do. The rest of my family was going to be gone, so I figured I’d have plenty of time.  Unfortunately, one of my daughters was sick over the weekend, so I stayed near her and tried to keep her happy and comfortable.  I did not want to work in another room—not because she was very ill, but because she was so annoyed and uncomfortable so much of the time, feeling tired and knowing that the weather was gorgeous and her sister was out having fun, and I didn’t want her to feel ignored.  So I stayed mostly in the room with her, and we watched a lot of her favorite shows.  But I did manage to get some pen and ink done while sitting on the couch (the city scape, which is proceeding well).

I also did something I used to do all the time, but which I’ve done very little of over the past 20 years:  painting miniatures.  I sat on the couch and painted a couple of figures.  The first is a Shadowrun troll street samurai (which I intend to use for my character in a current game, even though he looks nothing like my character, except for his size and homeliness).  The second is a halfling from a recent Reaper Minis Bones Kickstarter release that I went in on with some friends for an assortment of figures.

I’m pretty happy with how they turned out, considering that most of my paint is either between 10 and 20 years old, cheap craft store paint, or both.  In fact, I now wish I had spent just a little more time with my X-acto knife and metal files cleaning up the flash lines and cuds before I started painting.



Reaper Minis Bones Halfling

Shadowrun troll street samurai (front)

(back)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!