Friday, May 23, 2008

garden stuff

My corn is as high as an elephant's eye, if the elephant is the size of a little kitten. The peas are growing, but they're not a great vegetable to grow in the heat. If it gets hot and stays hot, they might not do well. Right now the biggest among them are still only about five inches tall. The tomatoes are green and leafy, but haven't really increased in size. I suspect that they are growing their roots, and as soon as the weather gets hot and we have a sunny stretch, they will take off. There is not yet any sign of the sunflowers, but by the end of this weekend I think we'll see them poking up. My dad gave me some sweet potatoes to plant, and I need to figure out where I'll put them. The blackberry bush is full of flowers; I still have frozen blackberries from last year that I need to use. If you want some blackberries in a couple of months, let me know; chances are, I'll have some for you. The glads are coming up in scads, and I'll need to dig them up and separate them after this season. Only one hollyhock is coming back. I still haven't planted the carrots.

 

1 comment:

  1. Sign me up for the blackberries! Big Granny always had fresh blackberries from the garden and taught me to do a mean cobbler.

    ReplyDelete

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!