Thursday, May 08, 2008

I'm putting this in the suggestion box at work

I think it would be a good idea to remove the photos of the President, Administrator, and Secretary of the DOT from the wall of the reception area. This has nothing to do with politics, but rather with the notion that we are an idealistic nation of laws. Our Founding Fathers wisely declined to put the faces of our leaders on our coins, a tradition that continued until 1909, when unfortunately it was discarded. They felt that to do so made our nation too much like a monarchy.
 
I would suggest something more symbolic and in line with the flags near the door, such as a copy of the Bill of Rights. Or even just some pleasant aviation-related art work.
 
Besides, all these politicians now use photographs in which they are smiling, which is fine for family photos, but in this context seems to radiate insipid buffoonery. I'd be much more inclined to keep the photos if the people in them didn't wear big fake grins.


 


Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

3 comments:

  1. I believe the higher the office a person holds, the more ticked off they should look. The Secretary should have a look of indifference, but the President should look like he just punched a puppy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, my brothers! Having dead presidents (and Hamilton! and that native american whose name I can't spell, and Susan B. Anthony) on our currency is an irritant to me. Of course, it at least makes coin tosses conveniently easy to call. "Heads or tails" sounds better than "Eagle or Capitol Rotunda."

    ReplyDelete
  3. what would Rosencrantz & Gildenstern do?

    ReplyDelete

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!