Friday, September 01, 2006

First Day of Autumn

...and it kind of feels like it, too. I fear it may be too late to plant my fall crop of green onions. I wanted to do it four weeks ago, but the time has just been lacking. Maybe I'll try planting a few, but they'll have to mature as the weather turns grim around Halloween. But perhaps I am too pessimistic. Lots of times it's very pleasant into November.

Beets and turnips, though, I can plant. They are fine Autumn crops. Trouble is, I sort of tired of cooking and eating them. I never even got that many in the Spring, but that might have been part of the problem. When you only get a little at a time, it cuts down on the number of recipes you can use them in. I mostly just boiled the roots and greens. I'd love to get enough beets for borscht, and get some good turnips for a stew.

After nearly two months of zero production, my large tomatoes are giving me fruit. I've had plenty of cherry tomatoes, but the big 'uns have been biding their time. I picked two medium-size ripe tomatoes a couple of days ago, and there are a half-dozen fat green ones hanging there, waiting. I might have to pick them and fry them before the weather makes them split.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!