Tuesday, September 05, 2006

We went to my parents’ house last night. Mom and Dad showed us a slip of paper that someone had put in their mailbox:

FOUND – Turtle. Walking down Goddard Ave. If yours, call xxx-4321.
I said, “I bet there’s a story there.”
------
It was dark and foggy when I pulled out of my drive this morning. I paused on the street and looked around to make sure there was no traffic bearing down on me, and I noticed that the across-the-street neighbors have a Halloween decoration in their window, a set of colored lights arranged in a jack-o’-lantern face. That made me crack up laughing for two reasons: First, it made me happy to see Halloween decorations, and second, it’s so stupidly early for them.

Then I thought, “Wait a second. I’ve had pumpkins sitting on my front porch for three weeks now…”
------
I pulled up the last of my pumpkin vines yesterday, and weed-whacked around the house and garden. The New England Asters are just about in full swing; I am very impressed by them. After an almost two-month spell of no large tomatoes, I am finally getting ripe ones again.

4 comments:

  1. Just gotta' say it . . .You're so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark,

    I'm glad to hear that the TTSP (Total Turtle Surveillance Program) is sweeping our streets clean of would-be turtle terrorists.

    Or perhaps we should lend credence to the turtle's alibi: it set out long ago on a journey to Zayre's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your turtle story reminds me of my parents house. Ever so often we will see snapping turtles that are about the size of a manhole cover come creeping out of the ponds and wander off down the road. I always wonder what other people who encounter them might think. Either way turtles are just not something people are used to seeing in a residential neighborhood! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, all my peeps. All of you, are cute.

    Three comments, from people I love. I now have an internet following, and one of them even remembers (or remembers me remembering) Zayre.

    Meki, I am calling my P&M right now to tell them your witty Zayre remark.

    ReplyDelete

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!