Thursday, November 09, 2006

El Caporal and the Two-Year-Old Constituents

I got to have lunch with my sweetheart today! We went to El Caporal. Kim had some kind of chicken burrito thing, and I had a taco, a cheese enchilada, and rice. Muy delicioso. I quite enjoy the tacos at the more authentic Mexican restaurants; the shells are fresher and crisper than the store-bought ones, and there's all that nice fresh-grated cheese.
____

A few nights ago I was sitting on the futon with Erin. We were by ourselves, the TV was off, and Erin was having a snack before bedtime. I was making small-talk, which usually isn't hard with a two-year-old, because you can repeat yourself or ask silly, obvious questions. Well, I started a somewhat lengthy monologue about how Kim and I would vote the next day. I kept it simple, just explaining that we'd go to a building and there would be lots of other people. We'd sign on a list, and then we'd get pieces of paper and pencil. We'd have to read the paper, and make marks on it... Well, I never got to finish my monologue, because she cut me off. She raised her hand, extending her index finger commandingly, and said, "Stop. Stop." Then she resumed eating her graham crackers.

She did it again last night when I was offering her my fond reminiscences of my voting experience. "Stop," she said, glaring at me, then went back to her dinner. "You want me to stop?" I asked. She nodded. "Okey dokey," I said.

I suspect that it's not just voting she doesn't want to hear about, but rather any long dad-originated discourse.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to agree with you on the taco shells and fresh cheese. I would also have to say that I think you have a smart girl on your hands who knows what is going on.

    ReplyDelete

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!