Monday, November 13, 2006

The glassblower’s cat is bompstable

On Saturday I attempted to get E. to take a nap by having her lie in our bed, covered up, while I told her stories. She really likes hearing stories now. Her mom and I tell her stories about E. going out for a walk and having all sorts of little adventures with kitty cats, doggies, and bunny rabbits.

I started telling her stories, but I started to fall asleep before she did. I dozed off numerous times in the middle of a story. If I fell asleep between thoughts, I’d remain silent for a moment, then be awakened by E., who would tap on my face. I’d open my eyes, and her face would be six inches from mine.

Sometimes I fell asleep mid-sentence, and I’d wake up when I realized I was expressing random thoughts. The fictional in-story E. would be at Nana’s house with her new friend, the bunny rabbit, and they would go outside to color with chalk… “then they thought paper would be fun, too, for coloring, and bunny took some crayons and broke them in half so they’d fit in the grass, but with the green wet…” then I’d open my eyes again, and see Erin watching me intently.

“Uh, what was the last thing I said?” I’d ask.

“Know?” Erin would reply, meaning “I don’t know.”

So I’d have to start over from the last time I’d hit the “save” button on my mental toolbar.

1 comment:

  1. I think you should narrate all of your dreams, such as your recent archeological dig/animal battle, to your children in detail.

    Unless of course the dream concerns voting.

    ReplyDelete

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!