Sunday, January 06, 2008

Erin's "craft"

Erin likes to work on craft projects, which when initiated by her involves cutting and pasting whatever items strike her fancy and that she has permission to work with (she’s very good about asking permission to use things, thank goodness.) I’m quite impressed with her mixed-media tendencies. On Christmas, she decided that some of the foam packaging from some of the gifts would form a good basis for a craft. She started cutting it, and then she glued parts back together, and then cut up construction paper and glued it in place. She recruited me to help cut some of the paper in the artwork pictured here, but most of the work (and all of the placement) is hers.

The couple of foam/construction paper collages she worked on around Christmas mark a departure for this young artist from previous efforts in that she has started mixing together multiple colors; her work was more Louise Nevelson-ish before, and has recently turned late-career Matisse.

Perhaps my tongue is somewhat in my cheek. But I insist that I am both proud of, and intrigued by, her artwork.

1 comment:

  1. i love that you respect her as an equal in the artist realm. most parents would say that "my child is an artist (wink, wink)" and patronize it, but your own creative eye really sees something there. erin is a lucky little matisse. tiana painted some canvas book covers once that blew me away. i think everyone else thought it was just crayola watercolors and some glitter, but the color choices and careful way she crafted them really made me proud.

    i'm starting a mixed media project myself, but i bet it's not as cool as this.

    ReplyDelete

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!