Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Site research

At lunch today, I visited two potential sites for metal detecting. The first site has a building on it dating to the 1830s, and in 1896 became a military academy with numerous buildings. It also functioned as a day camp, middle school, and college prep school, lasting until the just a few decades ago. I spoke with a gentleman in the engineering department of the organization that runs the site now, and he said he would check with someone “in administration.” I think I have a reasonable chance of being allowed to detect there. I sure hope so, because that should be a really great place for it. There are loads of old buildings and foundations, sports fields, and hang-out spots.

The second site is near the first. It’s part of the same old estate, and later became an orphanage in the early 1900s. There are numerous old buildings, but I don’t know how old—I’d guess they were built between 1920 and 1940, with some other very new ones. Not as much potential as the first site, but still very good. It is no longer an orphanage, but is run by the state for other programs. I met the regional director at his office there. He seemed very nice, asked me a few questions about my intent, and said that he would inquire with someone else in state government. If it were simply up to him, I think he’d have said, “Go ahead!” but since we’re dealing with a bureaucracy I don’t know what answer I’ll get.

Both places would be pretty cool, I think. I hope I get the answers I’m looking for. Brian—if I get an affirmative response, I’ll ask if I can bring my brother.

I keep thinking of more and more places I want to go, but I sure don’t have much time to capitalize on it.

If any of you lovely readers have any missing rings that you want me to hunt for you, let me know.

1 comment:

  1. Mark, I left several pounds of gold somewhere around here. I don't know whether it was in nugget, pig, bar, or coin form. If you find several pounds of gold, that would be mine.

    Also, it is always easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission. But I guess going to jail for trespassing would suck too.

    ReplyDelete

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!