Monday, January 28, 2008

I went with Brian yesterday to one site I was enthusiastic about hunting, but for the most part the ground was so frozen that it was like digging in brick. I found nothing to speak of, but after it warms up a little I’ll go back. I had a nice walk around that area, though.

Then we went over to a nearby park. The ground was frozen there, too, but there were sandy spots around the bleachers of the ball fields, and those spots were easy to dig in. I found 79 cents (some of that was not found with a metal detector; it was just sitting around when I walked past.) I also found two toy cars.

Then we plunged into the underbrush to look for an old home site. We found it, but it was getting dark, so we weren’t there long. I’d like to go back and take some pictures, because it was kind of interesting.

Today at lunch I went back to the same park and found 61 cents. There was at least one spot where I’m pretty sure a coin was buried, but I couldn’t chip my way through the rock-hard soil to find it.

One of the coins I found yesterday was a penny, sitting on top of the sand as I walked up. Next to it was another dirty-looking disk of the same size. I picked up the penny, then picked up the other disk. It appeared too corroded to be a coin, and I thought that maybe it was a rusted iron slug of some sort. I tried to bend it, and it snapped in half, revealing a white center; that’s when I knew I’d found a dirty, flattened, frozen Junior Mint.

1 comment:

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!