Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Numismatic gift certificates

Yesterday I left work early to donate blood, after which I had a little extra time. So I went to the Louisville Numismatic Exchange with some gift certificates I'd been saving.
 
My first goal was to find some 1920s-30s coinage from Ireland; the 1928 mintages were plentiful, and I don't have the denominations from that time (I think all of mine are post-decimalization). The Irish coins are some of my favorite.
 
When I got to the shop, though, I was informed that all the huge binders of world coins were gone. Someone had bought them all.
 
All the world coins they had left were in the rotating display cases. So I browsed, and found another coin that I'd coveted for a couple of years: A 1938 Hungarian 5 pengö, which struck my eyes the first time I saw one. I contemplated buying a 1949 Franklin half, but I'll have to save that for another time.


 


Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!