Thursday, August 27, 2009

Printmaking: fraught with peril


Here is one of the other prints. I consider this one to be a fine, usable print, but you can see a registration error on it. It's most apparent on the front of the neck, where the orange color goes a little beyond the black outline.

 

I started with about 30 prints, and about half had to be discarded.  The majority of those "discards" had this problem, but worse.  The other common problem was poor inking or ink coverage.

 

That's the kind of thing I can get rid of with a little more practice and consistency.

 

This was an engaging project.  I quickly reached the point that I get to with a lot of painting: I don't just like the entire image, but also become very interested in the small details that most people who aren't "into" the process don't look at. More specifically, I like to look at the textures and minute ridges in the ink, how the colors lie atop one another, that sort of thing.  It's similar to looking at the brush strokes in paintings, and what the paint does at the very edge of the canvas. Fascinating stuff.  For me, I mean.

 

start: 0000-00-00 end: 0000-00-00

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!