Tuesday, January 03, 2012

New Year update

 
 
Happy New Year!  We celebrated New Year's Eve by staying up too late and eating too much food at the Gilbert's.  The place was awash in merriment, cookies, chips, and pleasant company.  I lost at Scrabble, took our sleepy daughters home, and slept late the next day.
 
New Year's Day we mostly hung out in our pajamas and played games.  In the afternoon I finally put on some work clothes, took down the outside decorations, and crawled beneath the house to close up the ventilation for the winter (normally I'd do it earlier, but it's been so mild I was able to delay.)
 
I finished reading The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver, yesterday.  I thought it was excellent.  I would have finished it sooner, but I had to put it down for a while because it was getting to me.  I suppose that's because it's well-written, but I'm worried I'm just getting more emotional as I age and soon I'll be crying while reading The Guide to U.S. Coins or watching reruns of "Parks & Recreation."
 
I've started Game of Thrones.  I've never heard a bad review, and the series is very popular; so far, I find it enjoyable but not great.  I'm only a little way into it, though, and I gather the main attraction is the complexity of the characters and the story, not necessarily the style of prose, which I find acceptable but not compelling.

1 comment:

  1. well, Happy New Year. Sounds like you're off to a pleasant start. Love you.

    ReplyDelete

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!