Monday, February 11, 2008

detecting, films, and reading

Last Friday I spent about three hours detecting at a place where there used to be houses (according to a 1912 topographical map). The place is now fields and trees.
I found evidence of old use, but nothing worth keeping. There were lots of things buried 3-6 inches deep, and most of them were very rusty spikes and nuts. If I had dug up everything that sounded like a nail, I'd have 200 rusty nails. I shall post a photo of what I did dig up.
That was disappointing, but it was good to be out.
I notices quite a few trees toppled in the area from our recent storms. At A. B. Sawyer Park, there were trees down and one of the baseball dugouts was missing its roof.
Saturday night I stayed up much too late re-watching "The Big Lebowski." I love those Coen Brothers. I love all the little things they pack into their movies that are fun to pick up on with repeated viewings.
I tried to watch "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," but I gave up after about a half hour. I decided that, instead of getting annoyed with lack of story and character depth, I may as well just give up on the movies and read the books.
I'm half way through a Stephen Jay Gould essay on catastrophism vs. steady-state geology. That guy is a joy to read. I aways get a kick out of it when he quotes some ancient scholar, such as Pliny the Elder, and appends his quote with "[translation my own.]"





1 comment:

  1. I always like the episode of The Simpson's with S. J. Gould. On another topic, like any other movie adapted from a book, the character development in the Harry Potter movies is nill. If you would like to borrow any of the books, let me know. I should warn you, however, according to certain groups, these books promote witchcraft and wizardry and may lead young impressionable minds down a path of evil First smoking, then drugs, then buying eye of newt and albino yak hair in the alley!

    ReplyDelete

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!