Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Goddard Avenue: Safe in Union Hands

Brian reported on this a couple of weeks ago, and it was something I’d never been aware of before. He saw it referred to on Wikipedia, I think. Then I was reading about something else book about the history of the Cherokee Triangle area and came across a section of a map reproduction. That gave me another lead, allowing me to find a large, full-color, and very nice map on the internet. Here is a section of it.

Yes, sir, it looks like if I could go back in time 140 years and stand on the site that would later be the home of my parents’ front porch, I could throw a rock and hit a Union cannon. Or, at the least, chip a golf ball into a rifle pit.

the location of Fort Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!