Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Flaming Greenbeans & The Ungoogleables

Maybe I should title all my posts with the names of bands I like to listen to. Or maybe I'll make up band names based on post topics. Maybe there is a middleground.

Last night Kim called me to the kitchen and told me that the green beans she was attempting to microwaver were all lit up like Xmas in July. "Hmm," I thought. "Green beans don't come with foil wrappers."

I tried it, and sure enough, this one green bean that had its point sticking up in the air and was sputtering like a newly-lit match. I pulled it out and inspected it. Nope, no straightpins embedded in the beans. Weirdness. I'll have to research that.

Also, why is my blog unGoogleable? Do I have to change my settings? If I weren't me and I wanted to find Mark Tabler's blog--Oops! I used my real name!--I'd use very telling phrases to track him down. Phrases like "Halloween Parade," "Flaming Greenbeans," and "Haunted by Jawas." But when I check around for me, all that turns up on Google is Kim's blog and Mekimeki's bookmarks.

Kim went on a knitting retreat at General Butler State Park this weekend, and I stayed home with the girls. She had a good time, knitted more than I did, and ate chocolate with the girls. (That's why she's not in the Halloween Parade photos posted below.)

On Saturday evening I went with my parents and my brothers and my offspring to an engagement party in Bardstown. I was fortunate to meet the meganice megafamily of Brian's betrothed, Beth. It was very enjoyable. I was impressed with Brian's future in-laws. I'm not sure I've ever met a more immediately likeable, friendly, outgoing family. And Beth's sister has some delightful culinary skills. Even Erin and Jill had a good time; Erin came out of her shell a bit and ran off to play with a big dollhouse. The evening ended with Beth's nieces and nephews putting on an extended dance performance in Brian and Beth's honor.

1 comment:

  1. Re: Googlability:

    I think it was several months before any part of my Blogger blog came up in a Google search. First came the entry titles (someone apparently found my blog about three months ago, long after I stopped posting entries, while searching for the phrase "sansei desu"), and today I just tried to find instances of the term "etymological underbrush" on Google, and an entry I made last Februrary showed up fourth in the list. (NB: a Google search for "etymological underbrush" three months ago turned up nothing about my blog.)

    So, patience, my friend. Your Googlability will come in time.

    More importantly, kudos to Brian et al. for pairing up such immediately likable families.

    ReplyDelete

I'm eager to hear your thoughts!